RubyLane was founded in 1998 and features user created stores in 11 categories: antiques, fine art, vintage collectibles, dolls, furniture & Lighting, Glass, Porcelain & Pottery, Silver, Vintage Fashion, Jewelry, and Artisan Jewelry.
These 11 categories are grouped in three main sections: Antiques & Art, Vintage, and Jewelry.
In addition to the general promotion of the website, Ruby Lane offers many custom promotional opportunities for Artisan Jewelers, including postcards, business cards, cooperative print advertising in publications, and email promotions to buyers. More information can be had once you join Ruby Lane.com as a seller.
In terms of traffic, they have, on average, over 1.5 million visitors per month, with each visitor staying 4.5 minutes and viewing 6 pages.
Selling at Ruby Lane
Ruby Lane is a fixed price site, meaning there are flat fees incurred for specific actions, and no commissions paid on closing costs, etc.
There is a minimum 10 item listing requirement for your shop.
Fees are as follows:
- Initial Listing Fee: $.30
- Monthly mantainence listing fee charge on the first of every month: $.30 per item for the first 150 items, $.20 per item over 150, $.01 per item over 1000, with a minimum charge of $15 per month.
- There is a miniumum monthly charge of $24, or 80 items.
- A monthly cooperative advertising/marketing fee of $30. Check the press room on their website to see a list of advertising placements.
- One time setup fee of $15.
- Additional marketing opportunities as they become available.
Artisan Jewelry Lane
The Artisan Jewelry Lane is the special category for Jewelry Artists.
You may choose from the following subcategories: anklets, bracelets, charms, components, earrings, hat/stick pins, men’s, necklaces, pendants and lockets, pins/brooches, rings, sets and parures, unisex, and watches.
Opening An Online Store
Opening up a shop is by application. The site has a program called the “Ruby Lane Advantage,” where all potential sellers are subject to a panel review to make sure quality and professionalism standards are met by each seller.